Blackwood village takes its name from Blackwood Estate, owned since the 13th century by the de Vere family. The village developed as a result of the railway being built in the second half of the 19th century.
Kirkmuirhill is the older of the two villages by far and is first noted in the records in the year 1666. It was latterly closely connected to the local mining industry, but probably developed originally as a staging post on the old Glasgow to Carlisle road, at the cross roads with the road from Lanark to the west.
Although the two villages still have their separate names and identities, the border between them has shrunk almost into obscurity. In modern times, Blackwood has increased significantly with the advent of large housing estates, thus further diluting the identity of the original villages.
The Blackwood and Kirkmuirhill Co-ordination Group was formed to help bring the village communties to work together to help build a better communty for the local residents. The Co-ordination Group is not affilated to any Political party or any Institutions we are a friedly bunch who worked together as a team to help the local village communties.
The Blackwood and Kirkmuirhill Co-ordination Group receives funding from the Auchrobert wind farm.